Search
Search Keyword: Total 17 results found.
Tag: MilitaryArchitecture.comOrdering
Mellieħa Ridge Defences

British Field Fortifications in the North of Malta at the turn of the Twentieth Century.

Forgotten WWII Post at Corradino

One of the least known and studied works of fortification in the Maltese island is the nineteenth-century enceinte known as the Corradino Lines.

 Għajn Ħadid Tower and Aħrax Tower

Għajn Ħadid Tower and Aħrax Tower; Two De Redin Towers in Mellieħa.

Fort Campbell

History and Military Architecture of Fort Campbell in Selmun, Malta

Fort Mosta

Few British-period works of military architecture manage to exert such a commanding presence,

The Templar Fortress of Tartous

Although largely famous today for its role as a Templar fortress during the time of the Crusades,

St Anthony Battery

Din L-Art Helwa, Malta’s voluntary heritage organization, and the Local Council of Qala are collaborating in a joint effort aimed at restoring St Anthony Battery at Ras il-Qala, in the island of Gozo.

Fort St. Rocco

A British Flankless Fort in Malta.

St. Thomas Tower and Battery

The bays, inlets, and coves in the southern part of the Malta were always a source of concern for the knights of St. John.  

 

Sta. Maria Tower on Comino

There was a time in the late middle ages, when a journey across the Fliegu, the channel between Malta and its sister island, Gozo, was undertaken at great peril.

Madliena Tower - Malta’s ‘Martello’ Tower

The importance and role of coastal defence in the Maltese islands during the first half of the nineteenth century,

Fort St Angelo during the Great Siege

If the fortified city of Birgu provided  the Hospitaller knights with their main front line defence in their island stronghold of Malta,

18th Century Hospitaller Coastal Batteries

Coastal fortifications were an important component of the Order’s defensive strategy throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

Mgarr ix-Xini Tower, Gozo

The largest of the handful of coastal watch-towers erected by the Hospitaller knights of St John in the island of Gozo is that to be found still guarding the entrance to the small bay of Mgarr ix-Xini, situated on the island’s south-west shoreline.

 

Fort Manoel, Malta

Inside Marsamxett harbour lies a small leaf-shaped island once known as the Isoletto.  Its strategic value emerged with the construction of Valletta on Mount Sciberras, when the threat it posed to the western flanks of the new city began to feature prominently in the engineers’ reports. 

 

VALLETTA - 1566

Valletta, named after its founder, Grand Master of the Order of St John, Jean Parisot de Valette, was built after the Great Siege of 1565 with the financial help of a Christendom grateful for the defeat of Suleiman’s war machine.

 

Fort Tigne - 1792-95

Fort Tigné was begun in 1793 and was a very small work by eighteenth century standards, actually more of a large redoubt, but its design was probably the most revolutionary and influential of all the fortifications built by the knights in Malta.

 

 

 

 

 

Search

~ Additional Features ~