Search
Search Keyword: Total 10 results found.
Tag: New ZealandOrdering
Archaeology of the New Zealand Wars

The campaigns of the New Zealand Wars between Maori and Pakeha took place in various North Island districts

The Iron Duke's West Indian Barracks

Wellington's Uniform Barrack System crystallized a complex vision, imprinting an 1820s type on generations of military builders for over a century.

Fort Dorset

Fort Dorset was located in the suburb of Seatoun at the entrance to the harbour of Wellington.

The Pa Maori or Fortified Village

One of the most interesting features of old-time Maori life was their method of fortifying their villages.

Wrights Hill Fortress

Wrights Hill Fortress was built in the 1940's as a long range coastal battery to protect Wellington city

New Zealand War Sites and landscapes

The New Zealand Wars of the 1840s and 1860s-70s were part of Maori–Pakeha conflict

Disappearing Guns of New Zealand

The object of a 'disappearing' gun was to protect both detachment and equipment from hostile naval fire,

Wellington's Military Structures

Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Known for such structures as "The Beehive" (part of Parliament buildings) and "Te Papa" (the Museum of New Zealand).

Hauraki Gulf coastal defence sites

Many of the Hauraki Gulf's volcanic cones and islands have served as defence and lookout sites for Mäori and Europeans for hundreds of years.

Fort Takapuna
O Peretu, is the ancientname of Takapuna Head/FortTakapuna. A series ofmigrations, conquests, andoccupations reflect the longMaori history of the area.Originally the land was settledby people of Tainui and Kaweraudescent who then came underpressure from the Haurakitribes.Today the tribal groupingsof Ngati Whatua, Kawerau aMaki and Ngati Paoa all haveancestral association with thisplace. The settlements andvillages of Peretu and his peopleextended from Maunga Uika(North Head) north along thecoastline to just beyond Te Rahopara-a-Peretu (Castor Bay).In spite of severalgenerations of warfareextending from the 1760s to the1820s the traditional occupantsremained on the land until afterEuropean settlement began.In 1841 a large tractstretching from North Head toTe Arai Point was purchasedfrom the Hauraki tribes by theCrown. In 1853 J Hammondpurchased 65 acres at Takapunafor £218. Subsequently hesubdivided the land and in 188128 acres on Takapuna Head waspurchased by an Auckland

O Peretu, is the ancient name of Takapuna Head/FortTakapuna.

Latest Articles

 

 

 

 

 

Search

Books

~ Additional Features ~