Apr27

Fort Fisher

Construction began in April of 1861.

One hundred fifty years ago this week – on or around April 28, according to the history books – Maj. Charles Pattison Bolles began digging two small earthwork batteries a mile north of the now-vanished New Inlet.

North Carolina was still technically part of the Union, and would not get around to seceding until May 20, 1861, but the die was cast. Pro-Confederates, led by Gov. John W. Ellis, were pressing the Tar Heel State to side with the South. Meanwhile, on April 22, President Lincoln had formally extended the U.S. naval blockade against the Confederacy to include both North and South Carolina.

Union warships would not appear off the Cape Fear coast until July, but North Carolina officials were already preparing. New Inlet offered sailing ships a short cut to the port of Wilmington, so defending that point was crucial.

In early May, units of the Wilmington Light Infantry under Capt. William L. DeRosset mounted two 24-pound smoothbore cannon on the new battery and dug extra breastworks.

Read More

Article and Image Source: http://www.starnewsonline.com

Keywords: Fort Fisher, North Carolina, Civil War, USA, News, Review, Books

Author:
starnewsonline.com
E-mailPrintPDF

Latest Articles

 

 

 

 

 

Search

Books

~ Additional Features ~