The Sighting towers in Basilicata
"New life" for defence military architecture: the case of the sighting towers in Basilicata....
Denmark's position as "The Cork in the Baltic Sea" was vital for both NATO and the Warsaw Pact through the Cold War.
The only way out of the Baltic Sea was through Danish waters. No transport - or warships could get through the Danish waters without either being observed or shot at. Towards the Baltic Sea was in the early fifties built two new Coastal forts.The Stevns Fort, whose primary task was to protect the important minefields in the southern part of the Øresund and Fakse Bay and prevent enemy passage of the narrow strait of the Øresund. The Langelands Fort was supposed to protect the minefields of the southern part of the Storebælt and prevent enemy access to these waters.
At the southern end of the island of Langeland, the large farm Holmegaard with its 170 acres of land, was acquired for the purpose and on the 22nd of March 1952 the contruction was initiated by Admiral E.M. Dahl, the Earl of Tranekær Kay Ahlefeldt-Lauervig and the engineer Lehrmann from the Army Building Dept. The existing buildings of the farm were extended to become the barracks. The Fort became active on the 15th. of september 1953, but the constructions were not complete until August 1954.
Article and Image Source: http://www.fortress-scandinavia.dk
Keywords: Fortifications,Scandinavia,Cold War,Denmark
Date and Time to be