The Idea of the Castle
In Medieval England....
If the fortified city of
By 1565 the Castrum Maris had changed very little from the way the knights had found it in 1530. It was intrinsically still the same medieval structure inherited from the De Nava castellans except for a few alterations which had been undertaken in the course of 1530s and early 1540s and which were designed to provide the old castle with some basic form of artillery defences along its land front. D’Aleccio’s print of Fort St Angelo during the siege effectively sums up the situation when it depicts a bastion and cavalier crudely grafted onto a turreted medieval trace of walls. The illustration also reveals a moat along the bastioned front. This was the first significant intervention on the castle made by the Hospitallers and was aimed to isolate the stronghold from the mainland, thereby making it less accessible and reducing the danger of a landward assault while at the same time effectively countering any threat from mining. The construction of the moat involved the conversion of la Tagliata, that is the dry ditch of the old sea-castle, into a sea-filled cutting. Giacomo Bosio, the Order’s historian, claims that the ditch between the Birgu and the castrum had been excavated to around sea level by 1536 but it was eventually deepened further in subsequent years and could adequately shelter galleys in 1565. Concurrently with the excavation of the ditch, the knights also undertook the construction of new terrepleined ramparts flanking it and facing the town.
These works progressed slowly but by 1565 they had come to constitute a new land front consisting of a small arrow-shaped bastion grafted onto an adjoining short stretch of terrepleined rampart, the whole commanded by a towering cavalier. The design of the new bastioned front, however, was not particularly well-developed. The main problem lay in the narrowness of the neck of ground on which the castle was built for this did not allow for a fully fledged defensive line with mutually flanking bastions. As a result of these restrictions, only one bastion was built, for the construction of a second bulwark meant that this could only be erected in the sea – an undertaking which, in the circumstances prevailing at the time, involved too great a cost. Enfilading fire along the front, therefore, was only possible in one direction. Not surprisingly, the new works came in for much criticism from the Italian military engineer Antonio Ferramolino when he visited the island in 1540.
The bastion itself, known as D’Homedes bastion, is typical of the first generation Italian style of bastions. It was the first gunpowder bastion to be erected in
A solidly built cavalier stands to the rear of D’Homedes Bastion. This towering artillery platform was designed by Ferramolino and begun in 1542. It was not built for the immediate defence of the sea-castle but mostly as a counter-bombardment position designed to oppose enemy siege positions planted on the surrounding and overlooking heights of Santa Margherita and the Sciberras peninsula. Sentinels standing on the roof of the cavalier could also keep a watch on the entrance to Marsamxett harbour on the other side of the Sciberras peninsula. The construction of the cavalier progressed very slowly and it was not until January 1547 that the Council finally entrusted the completion of the structure in the hands of the knights Fra Goudisalvo Guiral and Fra Carlo Durre. Raised on three barrel-vaulted casemates, it is an impressively solid and stable artillery platform that must have been capable of mounting many pieces of cannon and various culverins. It is shown as having a parapet fitted with embrasures in most eighteenth century plans. D’Aleccio’s prints, however, only shows a single large cannon positioned on the cavalier and firing en barbette.
The completion of both bastion and cavalier absorbed most of the attention of the knights in the years leading up to the siege. There were, nonetheless, other minor though significant defensive measures which were adopted to strengthen the defences of the castle. The threat of a Turkish incursion in 1541, for instance, had forced the knights to block the mouth of the creek between the castle and Isola Point with a barrier of boats leashed together. This operation had involved a great deal of preparation and so in 1546 an iron chain was ordered from the arsenal of
Another important feature was the so-called De Guiral Battery. This was a fleur d’eau battery built just prior to the siege at the tip of the peninsula and designed to protect the chain closing the mouth of the creek. It seems that this battery was fashioned out of the rocky foreshore at the foot of the castle. Three of these embrasures, cut out in the rocky shore, are still visible and appear to belong to the original emplacement. Various eighteenth century plans show a rectangular De Guiral battery with masonry embrasures. Named after the Hospitaller knight Francesco de Guiral, who was placed in charge of the battery together with the crew of his galley just prior to the arrival of the Turkish armada, the position was, initially, totally detached from the old medieval castle to its rear. It only came to form part of Fort St Angelo following Don Carlos de Grunenburgh’s reconstruction of the fort in the late 1680s. The architect of the original idea for the construction of the battery is not recorded. Various engineers were operating in
The De Guiral Battery was to prove to be one of the most effective works of fortification ever built by the knights of
It would appear that the pre-1530 medieval castle consisted basically of an inner and outer ward. The inner castrum, and possibly the oldest part of the stronghold, the castro interiore, retro ecclesia Sancti Maria, formed a triangular enclosure in which stood the castellan’s residence. This corresponded roughly with the perimeter now enveloping the highest part of the promontory and enclosing the magisterial residence and St Anne’s chapel. This inner enceinte was fortified with a number of wall-towers of which at least two were rounded and were sited on the western side overlooking Senglea. One of these two towers has survived and reveals the use of large ashlar masonry blocks, probably re-utilised classical masonry, in its lower courses. It was well-built with rusticated masonry, parts of which have been recently unearthed, and shows that the castle’s towers were not much unlike those found on Swabian strongholds in nearby
The magistral palace that housed Grand Master Jean de Valette was built to accommodate L’Isle Adam in 1530 and had replaced the castellan’s residence, parts of which, however, were retained and incorporated into the new building. The old hall was converted into an ‘aula major et nova’ and was being used for council meetings by February 1534 while a new annexe bearing the arms of L’Isle Adam seems to have been added to the south. Architectural evidence shows that the knights enveloped the original building within a stronger outer shell fitted with corner buttresses and the whole structure was given the form of a rectangular keep. At least on one side, to north, the original medieval building extended northwards towards the chapel and was cut short by these sixteenth century interventions. The small
It is even more difficult to discern the outline of what was the castle’s outer bailey. The medieval documents speak of the ‘castro exteriore ante ecclesiam Sancti Angeli,’ which would place it on the north part of the peninsula. Evidence, however, shows that the walls of the outer ward stretched as far south as the present cavalier. Here, as Grunenburgh’s model clearly shows, the walls of the outer ward were designed to absorb the shock of an attack down the peninsula from the mainland. When designing the cavalier, Ferramolino left standing a small medieval wall-tower and a short stretch of adjoining curtain that once formed part of this outer enclosure. The stone model also clearly shows this part of the medieval enceinte as having had a heavily sloping talus, a feature which is likewise attested by the documents where these refer to the building of a pronounced scarp in 1477.
The area within the outerward was occupied by a number of auxiliary buildings, including a tavern. One block was actually built onto the east flank of the bailey facing Kalkara.
Judging by Grunenburgh’s model, it appears that this row of buildings was imposed on the castle at a later, post-1530 date as it jars entirely with the stronghold’s medieval character. These buildings, in all probability, appear to have been added by the knights in an attempt to improve the castle’s accommodation facilities so that it could house a larger garrison and retinue of knights. In all, these consisted of a row of seven blocks. They suffered considerable damage during the earthquake of 1693, for in August of that year the Commission of War ordered their demolition together with five rooms situated along the ramp leading up to the castle from behind the gate near the chapel of St Mary. A large number of rock-hewn cisterns and granaries were to be found all over the castle. Some of these were transformed into prison cells (‘guve’) and used to detain errant knights.
There was also a barbican which protected the main upward passage into the castle and an antemurale with towers and a gate situated down by the sea. This outer wall appears to have been truncated with the building of D’Homedes Bastion in 1536. One document speaks of the bastion being built ‘davanti la porta
Historians have yet to establish exactly at what point in time the castrum maris was dedicated to St Angelo. The castle is known to have had a chapel dedicated to this Saint as far backwards as 1274 but it is only during the Hospitaller period that the stronghold is referred to by such name. The first references to ‘Fort St Angelo’ are not met with until 19 July 1540, when the knight Claudius de Humblieres is documented to have been confined in the ‘Carcere Sti Angeli’.
As all veritable military outposts, Fort St Angelo also held a central armoury, a powder magazine, and a large powder factory. In many aspects, the castle, despite its obsolescence, served as the knights’ military headquarters. Its privileged position, on the highest ground at the tip of the Birgu peninsula gave it a certain command over the harbour enclave. Various batteries of guns were set up inside the castle, one of which was sited on top of the cavalier, and these were used to give supporting fire to the rest of the harbour defences, including Fort St Elmo. The castle’s garrison, under the command of the Catalan knight Galceran Ros, also doubled up as the main reserve, and was frequently sent to the aid of threatened posts.
In reality, limited by its ancient ramparts, there was little that the old sea-castle could have offered in terms of effective resistance had it become the object of the Turkish assaults. To the knights and their men, however, it represented a place of last resort. Physically, and psychologically, it was the keep of the Hospitaller position, the final refuge place so to speak, where, if all else were lost, some sort of safety and retreat could be found and a last desperate and heroic stand made.
Dr. Stephen C Spiteri PhD
Date and Time to be