Jan18

Fighine Castle

Tags: Italy Castle

The castle rises in an exceptional strategical position, on the watershed between the valleys of the Paglia and the Chiana streams

at approximately 650 meters of altitude. Fighine was mentioned for the first time in 1058 in relation to the Parish church of Santa Maria 'de Fighine'. In the 12th century the castle was fief of the Visconti di Campiglia d' Orcia, powerful family of this area, later feudatory also on Chiusi, S.Casciano (now S.Casciano dei Bagni) and Celle sul Rigo.

 We find Fighine as fortified castle in the edict of the 1266 with which the Emperor Frederick di Svevia granted to Tancredi, Viscount of Campiglia, the possession of Fighine and other castles. Also Ludovico the Bavaro confirmed Fighine to the Viscount. The position made Fighine object of disputes between Captains of mercenary troops and the local nobility until it was occupied by the troops of Cortona and yielded by Paolo Orsini.

Between the successive owners there was also the 'Condottiero' Baldaccio d' Anghiari. At his dead, in 1441, the Sienese Republic obtained the control of the castle. In 1446 were undertaken great works of widening and strengthening of the fortified structures, but the reconstruction was interrupted in 1451 due to the occupation of the castle by the troops of the Pope.

Read More

Article and Image Source: http://www.castellitoscani.com

Related Video:

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.

 

Keywords: Fighine,Castle,Tuscany,Italy

 

Author:
castellitoscani.com
E-mailPrintPDF

Latest Articles

 

 

 

 

 

Search

Events

Date and Time to be 

announced soon

 

~ Additional Features ~